About Me

My photo
*♫*Love is the flag flown high from the castle of my heart...*♫* Student; Blogger; Young Entrepreneur

Thursday, July 8, 2010

The Foolish Things

But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty” [1 Corinthians 1:27]

Is God’s Word too simple? Are His methods unbelievably straightforward, so much that they become increasingly difficult to yield to? I heard a story once of a Christian who had been through severe hardship in his life. After enduring for a rather long period of time, he decided to confront his Pastor for a solution after a church meeting. The Pastor, full of wisdom and the HolyGhost, listened attentively to the young man. Upon the troubled Christian finishing the story of his ordeals, the Pastor recommended that he purchased, listened to, and meditated on certain Christian materials [books, tapes, CDs, etc]. To the Pastor’s amazement, the young man, looking rather disappointed said to him, “you don’t understand”. With those words, the young Christian Brother was attempting to convey to his Pastor that it could not be that simple; the young man must have been thinking “this man [referring to the Pastor] must not know how serious my case is for him to be asking me to go and listen to some sermons; didn’t I just listen to a sermon?”

Many of us Christians are like that today. God’s Words and instructions seem too simple to hold any weight. Moses made the same mistake and it cost him dearly. God had instructed him to “take the rod…and speak ye unto the rock before their eyes; and it shall give forth his water” [Numbers 20:8], but Moses in his anger looked lightly upon the Lord’s instruction and struck the rock instead of talking to it. Maybe if he had known that the rock represented Christ which was only to be struck once [representing his death] after which words [confessions of faith] would produce results in His name, he may have not disobeyed the Lord. As simple as the instruction was, it was very important to God that it was carried out precisely.

We, as believers, need to be more conscious of the fact that God, in His infinite wisdom, has chosen to confound [stun, amaze, and leave speechless] those that are wise in this world by making the “foolish” things contain the most power. Consider the foolishness of meditating on the Word of God in order to see tremendous progress and prosperity in your life [Joshua 1:8, 1 Timothy 4:15]. You may also examine the foolishness of prayer. God does not require you to pray a powerful prayer; you do not have to shout down the heavens. He needs you to simplyask, and…receive” [John 16:24]. Finally, consider the foolishness of giving or sowing seeds of faith into the lives of men of God, brethren, and the poor; as foolish as the giving of your money is [to the wise people of this world], it is the key to true unending prosperity [2 Kings 4:1-7, Luke 6:38].

The man I referred to earlier may have found it easier to believe if his Pastor had instructed him to fast for 21 days and eat only veggies for another 21 days after that, while praying for two hours at noon and at midnight all of those days. Funny, isn’t it? Yet, that is the way many believers are. We find it easier to believe more in a complicated process, when God said it has been made simple. Whatever deliverance you need is in the Word of God; the knowledge of it will literally cause your eyes to be open to see that you were never bound [Proverbs 11:9].

Salvation came as simply as saying that you believe Jesus was raised from the dead and confessing His Lordship; if the most important thing in your walk with God came that easy, why should anything else be harder [Romans 10:9-10, Romans 8:32]? Focus on the Word of God, enjoy fellowship with God in prayer, and give with a heart of love. 

While you post your comment, here's a beautiful song [originally written, composed, and sung by Frank Edwards of LoveWorld Records] covered by a dear friend and sister of mine - Chidimma. The chorus is in the Igbo language from Nigeria. Enjoy!

8 comments:

  1. Wow! I love God and the wisdom with which He operates!!! He's made it all so simple...all He says is believe my word and yield to my word. Thanks, for reminding me that He is the Only Wise God and His instructions, howbeit simple, are the embodiment of wisdom and are full of power! The simple things I've learnt to do from God's word have improved my life greatly. Oh! How i love 'the foolish things'....

    Thank you, St. Burnish, for this stirring piece....you're a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How beautiful are the feet of them that bring good news, how very beautiful. This beautiful peace brings to mind again, the simplicity and yet the profundity of the leadings of God's Spirit. If only we would do without question, we will do exploits.

    The chorus:

    Omemma eh, anyi ga m'eburu anyi g'e buru
    Omemma eh, ebube dike, ebube dike, Igwe


    Translates:

    The one who does wonderful works, we will forever praise your name
    The one who does marvelous works, you indeed are great and merciful
    You are king!

    ReplyDelete
  3. St. Burnish, God bless you so much! Yeah, even our very salvation came by speaking words--foolishness to those who do not believe! There is one scripture i love so much, 2 Corinthians 4:13 (GW) The following is written, "I believed; therefore, I spoke." We have that same spirit of faith. We also believe; therefore, we also speak.
    It is interesting and amazing how God has put the power of progress in our mouths... Many ignorant and religious ones may call us proud for speaking what we have believed in the WORD;if only they knew what their words could do for them... I would keep doing the "foolish" thing of talking my prosperity, my victory, my ability in Christ, and see myself taking giant strides in the Spirit!! Keep saying it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm, you know when I saw these message in my mail, I didn't think it important, I don't know, I just felt like clicking.
    And truly, it had some encouraging words.
    I love this one 'Salvation came as simply as saying that you believe Jesus was raised from the dead and confessing His Lordship; if the most important thing in your walk with God came that easy, why should anything else be harder'

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Simplicity that is in Christ.
    Even I struggle with that Simplicity and I pray God opens my eyes to them in fellowship with Him.

    God Bless Bro!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Lola: You're welcome!!! And, thank you for contributing.

    @ Eximius: Yes, "simplicity and profundity" at the same time. How marvelous is our God!!!

    @ Besa: It's great to know you're getting blessed by this blog all the way in Ghana. Thanks for adding that 2 Corinthians 4:13....a very vital scripture to take note of.

    @Anonymous: I'm glad the Spirit of God led you this way.

    @ Wale: God bless you too!!! And, don't struggle with it, rather live in it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Waow! Our God is an awesome God! He is the Only wise God...you know I have come to understand that he has made life so simple because he does not want anyman to think he is qualified for any blessing by the works of his own hands. We do not have to strugle for anything or strive for anything, the bible lets us know that God did all the creating and making in the beginning...he has set everything in place.All we just need do is to use his wisdom which causes us to be transformed from one level of His Glory to another. Praise God...I refuse to struggle, I take advantage of God's greater blessings in my life. Halleluyah!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am glad that I can boldly say that I am your friend meaning I have been able to impact your life as well-I have been able to bless you even as you have blessed me and the blw-msu brethren. I am glad I have easy access to all this wisdom. God Bless you so much for chossing to share such rich words...Money can't but none of this...

    Praise God...more anointing in Jesus Name!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know your thoughts...