About Me

My photo
*♫*Love is the flag flown high from the castle of my heart...*♫* Student; Blogger; Young Entrepreneur

Friday, February 19, 2010

Hearing God

Quite recently, I saw a question on this blog from a dear brother asking about hearing from God. I initially wanted to write a reply immediately, but I thank God for an opportunity to share my mindset with everyone. First, I’d like to appreciate Rev. Chris Oyakhilome of Christ Embassy for teaching me the word of God. Many of the things he has taught me, I sometimes wish I had known earlier, because they are capable of setting a man up for unending success. Well, here are five important things that every Christian who desires to hear God consistently needs to know [of course, assuming this Christian has already received the HolyGhost]:


God wants to talk to you. This is so important, because we are tempted to believe that God is some extremely strict personality that reveals Himself to a select few without any reasons. No! He is a rational being, and He created us to be in fellowship with Him. In fact, I believe the first and most important thing to know is that God is more interested in talking with you than you could ever be. In Genesis 3:8, we see Him “walking in the garden in the cool of the day”; He was out to have fellowship as usual with Adam. Notice that He was the one that went looking for the man. If God wanted that kind of relationship with Adam [who was not born again and could not be], then how much more you who contains His very life and nature? So, get the monologue idea out of your mind; quit thinking you are so desirous, yet God is so resistant.


Get to the Word. This is critical because it is a part that many of us miss. To hear from God consistently, you need to be able to recognize His voice; however, how do you know His voice except you train yourself to do so by studying His only literary work? When you read an author’s writing, you learn a lot about His personality. Jesus said unequivocally “search the scriptures…they are they which testify of me.” You need to search. I believe this is a good place to let you know that there’s no formula for hearing God – no 2 plus 2 equals 4. Absolutely not! You’ve got to train yourself to hear Him. John 1:1 says “and the Word was God”; when you read the bible under the HolySpirit’s tutelage, God is unveiled to you. You learn His communication skills and preferences. It’s a lifelong experience that only gets better, so don’t seek to learn it all in one day.


Have expectations. I think this is a pivotal opportunity for Christians to be different. People of different religions around the world pray all the time, yet do they get a response – or, better still, do they expect a response? You may have been so used to praying without answers that you cannot imagine even hearing from God. Well, that mindset has to change. Proverbs 24:14 says “so shall the knowledge of wisdom be unto thy soul; when thou hast found it…thy expectation shall not be cut off.” Here, Solomon speaks of the knowledge of wisdom. Wisdom is the word of God. As I share these thoughts with you, you’re receiving the knowledge of wisdom. The next thing Solomon says for you to do is to have an expectation. Then, he promises without an iota of doubt that your expectation will be realized. So, expect God to talk to you! And, don’t hear Him once and think “oh, glory…that’s okay for me.” Expect to hear God every time you talk with Him.


Don’t seek the spectacular; focus on the supernatural. Romans 9:8 lets us know that “they which are the children of the flesh, these are not the children of God: but the children of the promise are counted for the seed.” The senses in this verse refers to your five senses (of touch, sight, hearing, taste, and smell), while the promise refers to the Word of God. To be a child of the flesh is to rely completely on how you feel. It is to live based on your physical senses – to be instructed, guided, and controlled by them. However, the children of the Word, as we know, do not live by their senses “for to be carnally (sensuously, fleshly) minded is death” [Romans 8:6]; rather, we live by the Word. As such, you do not have to feel a certain way when God is talking to you or hear a roaring sound, thundering, and such things. If you thought you never heard God before, who do you think reminded you recently that you had not yet studied the Bible? No, it was not your mind! You thought it was your mind, because you have trained yourself to look out for the spectacular. God is not always in the spectacular; but, He is surely in the supernatural. If God says something as simple as “go and read your Bible” to you, it’s supernatural, because natural men do not experience such reminders. I am sure you were not reminded to pray when you were an unbeliever. So, though that experience may not be spectacular, it is very well supernatural. You ought to cherish it and obey the voice; in that instruction, God is training you for greater future conversations.


He is Lord! In one of my favorite scriptures of all time, Revelations 1:17, Jesus said to St. John the Divine “Fear not; I am the first and the last.” My question to you is “is Jesus the Lord of your life?” If He is, why then are you worried about failure? Why do you think it may be getting too late for Him to speak to you about your future? Why do you feel constrained by time? Be patient; He is Lord! If He is Lord of your life, you can be rest assured that He wouldn’t mess your life up. He never destroyed anyone’s life, and yours will not be the first. So, don’t feel like He’s taking too long to answer; while you wait for instruction about your career, listen to instructions about being courteous, studying the Word, and praying. Let those “simple” instructions prepare you for the big ones. The Lordship of Jesus is more than a casual declaration; it means that your life is His responsibility. He said He is “the first and the last”; that means He lives in eternity. So, do not be concerned about time. It is the exact reason He said “fear not”. Trust in His Lordship.


Remember, God wants to talk to you. Just study His Word, expect His voice in your spirit, and look at the right thing – not the spectacular but the supernatural.


I am eager to read your comment and suggestions about the blog; so, make sure to bless me and someone else out there with your thoughts. While you comment, enjoy the following worship song; you'll be blessed by it. God bless you!

13 comments:

  1. Wow! God bless you St Burnish! This really ministered to me, especially the parts about letting simple instructions prepare you for big ones and focusing on the supernatural and not the spectacular. Sometimes, I expect God to come in the thunder but He chooses to come in the still, small voice. If we are found worthy in little things, we'll also be worthy in the big things. Sometimes, we want to jump the gun. At times,we tend to forget who is Lord.

    God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. U make a valid point when u say that by reading the bible, you get an idea of God;s communication skills-how he talks. I think I'm going back to my bible. Great piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Child of Promise: I'm exceeding glad that you were blessed by that. And, yes, we need to remind ourselves that He is Lord!!!

    @Mfonobong: That's great to hear; I hope my answer results in a more fulfilling fellowship with the Spirit of God for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Deji for sharing another very important aspect in our walk with Jesus. There's nothing as precious as communing and communicating with Him.

    You know, when I read this part, "As such, you do not have to feel a certain way when God is talking to you or hear a roaring sound, thundering, and such things", I remembered I Kings 19:11-12 when God told Elijah to go and stand on the mount before Him. The Bible says, that "the Lord passed by, and a great and strong wind rent the mountains, and broke the rocks before the Lord in pieces; BUT THE LORD WAS NOT IN THE WIND: and after the wind an earthquake; BUT THE LORD WAS NOT IN THE EARTHQUAKE: And after the earthquake, a fire; BUT THE LORD WAS NOT IN THE FIRE: and after the fire, A STILL SMALL VOICE" ...and that was it!!! The Bible says that when this happened Elijah wrapped his face with his mantle and went out and stood at the entrance of the cave. And the voice asked him, "What are you doing here, Elijah?"

    Oh, I love the Holy Ghost! We're not called into a relationship with "the spectacular occurrences" as wonderful as they could be, but we're called into a relationship with A SUPERNATURAL PERSON; and that person has A VOICE with which he speaks with us. Deji, you're sooo right when you said 'don't seek the spectacular, focus on the supernatural'.
    Thanks a million for sharing and blessing us with these inspired words!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "its the exact reason He said fear not"...This is truly inspiring..Its funny how the simple truths really hold the keys to victory...This is the transcendent life we talk about...This is higher life we walk in..The Holy Spirit is ever eager to speak...St.Burnish, keep being a channel..I love u bro...God bless

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW St. Burnish,

    I stand in awe of the words of wisdom in your most recent blog-spot. Surely the Holy Spirit gave me the simple instruction of reading your blog this morning as a means to begin conversing with me. I've been so blessed..One thing I would like to emphasize is focusing on the supernatural and not the spectualar. When I heard Pastor say those words at HLC UK last year, my mindset was immediately reformatted. I began to see God in the simplest of things and appreciate Him for the gentle words of comfort and instruction I received daily. I am so excited about this blog !! God Bless You Deji!! Thank for bringing me into this ministry and continually feeding me with words of life

    MinisterOfJoy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Thanks St. Burnish, this has blessed my life immensely!! Thank you for sharing such deep truths from the Word of God. Your revelation of the Lord Jesus Christ is increased as you freely give!! Thank you. You are changing lives and I see God doing wonders with your life! God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. For the past couple of weeks, I find myself reading your blogs, checking your status and being inspired once more in my walk with God. God bless you along with other BLW bloggers for yielding to God use you guys as instruments.

    I used to walk in close close fellowship with the Holy Spirit but as time went on, that diminished. I hear God say, welcome back son. Thanks so much guys and God bless

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ Anonymous: Welcome back...but U were never gone in the first place... U just stopped listening.

    @ St. Burnish: WOW! awesome piece. Not that it matters tho, bt I have a bookmark of this blog...ready to tune in every thursday @ 6pm! I find it remarkeble that this piece is coming out now - and remember that we were discussing about a sudden desire among christian to hear God, yet it seems like He (God) is so far away to them. In fact, not too long ago, I testified of a sister who wanted to hear God, but because she was focusing on the spectacular - expecting an audible voice, she didn't know she was hearing God, and was waiting for something else. but God was speaking to her already!

    And you know something else? Jesus said: "My Sheep hear my voice"...there's no mistaking God's voice when it comes to you. It could be thru that one verse that gets you fired up like never before, or that gentle voice - 'a reminder'. Or, like Pastor said, "A pull, a passion to do the things of God." He wills and works in us to do off his good pleasure...Its great to know that the Creator and Monarch of the Universe loves me! And he desires to fellowship and commune with me, such that we'll be closer than best of friends...Oh I love You Holy Spirit.

    N.B: As You read this blog post, lift up your hands and thank the Holy Spirit. keep saying words of thanks, praise, worship and adoration, and He'll minister to you like never before!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I thank GOD for this post and most likely will look at it again. The part about GOD seeking the man and also to understand an author, study his work and you will catch on to his personality. And also the paragraph on being expectant. Honestly, this post really helps me because I'm at that crucial time where I desire to hear GOD that I'm even feeling like HE's restraining HIMSELF. But you're right, HE speaks and some say "Always speaks" which I believe. GOD BLESS You Bro and Keep inspiring you in JESUS' NAME, AMEN.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for such an inspiring piece. God bless you and keep you to keep doing His work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How I love this so much. I now understand. He has truly opened my ears to hear, i was just so caught up in expecting the spectacular instead of the supernatural and in the process, I wasn't listening or obeying the things He was already saying. Absolutely love the part of "God is training you for greater future conversations"

    God bless you real good.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh waow!!!

    I have been further blessed by this piece. Its so funny how some people miss His voice while searching for the SPECTACULAR. Oh, I refuse to be caught up in seeking for the SPECTACULAR, I expect His voice in my Spirit as I study the word TODAY...

    In Jesus Name. Amen!!!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know your thoughts...