About Me

My photo
*♫*Love is the flag flown high from the castle of my heart...*♫* Student; Blogger; Young Entrepreneur

Thursday, April 8, 2010

True Patriotism

Out of Zion, the perfection of beauty, God hath shined.” [Psalm 50:2]
The famous Apostle Paul wrote extensively about a new creation, a heavenly Jerusalem, and a family on earth and in heaven, to which every Christian has been called. Time and space will fail me to list the scriptural verses where those thoughts were shared, but I advice that you take a look at Hebrews 12:22-23; in it, the Apostle further expressed that there’s a new ‘nation’ to which we believers have been called. For more on Zion, take a look at my blog post titled ‘Peace within our borders’; you’ll be blessed by it.

Zion is the city of God – a spiritual Israel, and we have been called to be citizens of it. In this post, I will not be discussing the benefits of life in Zion. Rather, my desire is to challenge us to see Zion as beautiful. The strongest nations in the world are built by indoctrination; citizens are taught that their nation is the greatest. The term ‘nation’ in itself has strength in it that means much more than geographical boundaries. As I was very adequately taught by Rev. Chris Oyakhilome, a state or country can only be referred to as a nation when its citizens have a common vision and speak one language [or have one mind].

The opening scripture shows us how God feels about Zion; it is the perfection of beauty. He wants us to be indoctrinated; God wants us to know that there is no nation or country in the earth greater than ours. Yet, many of us are consumed by a love for our earthly nations at the expense of a love for Zion. In Romans 9:8, the Bible says "they which are the children of the flesh, these are not the children of God: but the children of the promise are counted for the seed." To be a child of the flesh is to be carnal enough to primarily identify one's self by physical or earthly nationality. In Romans 9:8, Paul shows us two types of children - those of the flesh and those of the promise. The 'promise' here refers to God's Word. Do you see that your origin is from God's word? Or, do you still identify first as Nigerian, American, British, South African, Korean, or Australian? If you are a Christian, that should not be the case.


This topic is so important, because our earthly nations have become more beautiful to many of us than Zion. We identify as Ugandan Christians, Brazilian Christians, and the likes instead of ‘just being Christians’. In our churches, some of us even form factions based on ethnicity or nationality. There are ‘Black’ people who will not attend ‘White’ churches and vice versa. I put the words Black and White in quotes, because in reality, once you become a Christian, you are neither White nor Black; you are a new creation [Galatians 3:28].

Learn to appreciate Zion TODAY! See Jesus in the eyes of every Christian, whether or not they speak your earthly language. Embrace them like you would Jesus if He lived in your house. Like Abraham [under God’s instruction] abandoned his earthly kindred, abandon yours also for Zion. This does not mean that you should not still love your earthly nation. It only means you should love Zion more. If someone asked you “where are you from?” let your answer first be Zion. Or, say to the person “do you mean in the flesh or in the spirit?” Either way, the person’s answer may lead to an opportunity to share Jesus with them.

If God Almighty could shine out of Zion, then you should be proud of your citizenship in this beautiful country!

6 comments:

  1. Minister-of-Grace LolaApril 9, 2010 at 11:39 AM

    Awesome, awesome stuff St. Burnish!
    You know, as I was reading this--just before I got to the end--I made up my mind that I would begin to tell anyone who wanted to know where I was from my true origin! So, I was quite pleased when I noticed you wrote the exact same thing...lol...Praise God!

    "I hail from Zion, the city of the living God, the beloved country....and I love the beautiful people that dwell there!!!"

    Thanks for sharing, bro!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy oh boy!!!
    I hail from a city called ZION. I like the fact that its called a CITY, not a town, a suburb, or even a county ...its a city. I am a "city girl" woohoo!!!

    Praise God!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful!....Ever-relevant!....We are primarily citizens of zion, every other patriotic obligation is essentially secondary!....Excellent piece St.Burnish!....Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ "Minister-of-Grace": Thank you!

    @ Abimbola: Amen, hallelujah!!!

    @ Victor: Well, I've missed you, bro.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks A lot!! Was Blessed By This Piece!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Hallelujah! I am not sure if anyone enjoys your writing as i do. It keeps getting better. Wonderful! "Do you mean in the flesh or in the spirit" - that is awesome. May God grant you more insight into spiritual realities as you pen these articles. God bless.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know your thoughts...